Minimise the impact of our operations
"In 2015, our use of non-fossil fuels and renewable energy has eliminated 25,811 tonnes of CO2 emissions, which is equivalent to taking 13,040 cars off the road or powering 4,609 homes. Over the past five years, we have eliminated 87,442 tonnes of CO2 emissions, the equivalent of taking 44,175 cars off the road for a year or powering 15,615 homes for a year."
双色球走势图9188彩票 www.733iw.com.cn As an ethical and responsible business, we are aware of our impact on the environment and continue to minimise it by constantly looking at what we can do across our operations, particularly our manufacturing sites. It is our aim to continue to:
- reduce our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by improving energy efficiency and increasing energy usage from non-fossil fuel sources
- reduce our waste to landfill; and
- reduce our impact on the world’s depleting water resources.
- 24.2% of our energy was generated from non-fossil fuel sources in 2015
- 6.5% reduction in GHG emissions since 2010
- 48.9% reduction in VOC emissions since 2010
- 56.8% reduction in waste to landfill since 2010
- 5.5% reduction in water consumption since 2010
Our commitment to renewable energy
As an example of our continuing commitment towards carbon reduction, in the past five years we have invested in multiple energy efficiency and renewable energy projects. All of our capital investments must consider energy efficiency and the opportunity to improve our energy sourcing where it is cost-effective to do so.
Projects implemented in recent years across our manufacturing sites and sales offices include:
- Steam feed from municipal incinerator at Chocques, France
- Wind turbine at Hull, UK
- Photovoltaic solar panels at Edison, and Atlas Point, North America
- Thermal solar panels at Thane, India
- Ground source heating at our Global Headquarters in Cowick, UK
- Biofuel CHP at Leek, UK
- Landfill gas CHP at Atlas Point, North America
- Ground source heating at Mevisa, Spain
- Bio-gas system at Gouda, the Netherlands.
Our waste to landfill successes
Over the five year target period, we have achieved a massive 56.8% reduction in waste to landfill, far surpassing our target of a 20% reduction and improving upon our 2014 reduction of 45.2%. Our top performing sites were:
- Atlas Point in North America, which reduced waste at source by improving plant efficiencies
- Mevisa in Spain, which improved their Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP) and waste management, therefore generating less organic material as waste.
- Mill Hall in North America discovered new avenues of beneficial reuse for manufacturing by-products and materials that would otherwise have been disposed as landfill waste.
Improving our water consumption
By the end of 2015, we achieved a 5.5% reduction in water consumption compared to our 2010 baseline year.
Our manufacturing sites in Mevisa, Spain, and Shiga, Japan made the biggest savings. At Mevisa, external pressure to reduce water consumption over several years has led to us replacing single-pass cooling systems with cooling towers and refrigerators that recycle cooling water. This has resulted in a 34% reduction in water consumption during our five year review period.
However, operational difficulties with a novel water recovery unit at one of our manufacturing sites meant that more water needed to be extracted than expected, and we missed our 2015 target of a 10% reduction.
To read more about how we are minimising our Environmental Impact, please read our Sustainability Report.